Conference of Churches
Justice & Advocacy
Follow-Up Action Ideas from the Growing Divide Workshop
- Form a book study group for The Spirit Level
[Note: the LEPOCO book group had a discussion of the Spirit Level last year; and Grace Episcopal Church, Allentown, has expressed interest in organizing another study of the book.]
- Network with folks who attended the October 29th workshops. Everyone who would like to be included - and willing to share your email address with other network participants - please send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Identify minority-run businesses and support them
- Organize a social justice shopping trip
- How do we respond to reports of poor working conditions at Amazon.com?
[Note: LCCC Justice & Advocacy Committee is looking at "B" Corporations (such as betterworldbooks.com) as an alternative to conventional corporate practices.
- See that pastor and church staff receive fair wages
- Set up XMP radio station in Lehigh Valley to support the progressive left
- Challenge false commentary in the media
- Support clergy in speaking out on matters of economic justice
- Encourage people to see faces of povery person-to-person, for example, through the Aspires mentoring program.
- Take people on a church tour, to hear about community-oriented programs sponsored by the church. (This has been very successful at Grace Episcopal Church).
- Empower people who are afraid to speak out about economic injustice.
Last Updated: 10/31/2011
Created: October 31, 2011