Bread for the World - 2015 Offering of Letters workshop

Bread for the World - 2015 Offering of Letters workshop

The Heart of Justice: Feed Our Children - Break the Chains
Saturday, April 25, 2015
8:30AM-3:30PM

First Presbyterian Church
3231 Tilghman Street
Allentown, PA 18104

Map & Directions     (Tilghman St. at Cedar Crest Blvd.)     Church Phone: 610-395-3781


Overview
Program
Speakers
Register
Resources
Map & Directions


Bread for the World

Feeding Pennsylvania

The Lehigh Conference of Churches

Justice & Advocacy

2015 Gathering
2014 Gathering
2013 Gathering
2012 Gathering


Printable Flyer:
  • color-pdf
  • b/w-pdf
    
    Printable Poster:
  • color-pdf
  • b/w-pdf

    
    
  • This annual gathering will include discussion of both local and national food and hunger issues and tools for advocacy with our elected members of Congress.

    Plenary Presentation:     "Feed Our Children"
    with Larry Hollar, Senior Regional Organizer, Bread for the World
    and Caryn Long, Executive Director, Feeding Pennsylvania.

    Every five years, Congress must re-authorize the law that funds our federal government's major child nutrition programs, including those for school meals, summer feeding, and the WIC nutrition program for pregnant and new mothers along with their small children. Bread for the World and Feeding America are urging Congress to renew these programs, which have helped millions of children over the decades... read more.

    Also, there will be time for conversation with special guests:

    State Representatives Mike Schlossberg and Steve Samuelson

    Oxfam reports that by the end of 2016, the wealth of the top 1% of the world's people will exceed the total wealth of the other 99%. How do we begin to address such stark inequality and protect our most vulnerable people? Our spring event this year will provide resources for several related federal, state, and local issues, with a focus on legislative advocacy for poor and outcast people in our communities, and especially families with children.

    Workshop topics (in plenary and breakout sessions) will include:
    • Renewing U.S. Child Nutrition Programs: WIC (Women, Infants Children),
      school meals, summer feeding program
    • Pennsylvania Economic Issues: inequality, minimum wage, tax policies
    • Prison Justice: ending mass incarceration, assisting families of prisoners,
      and restoring people released from prison to productive lives
    • Food Security in the Lehigh Valley
    • Advocacy basics / "Offering of Letters" 101 - What is it? How to do it.

  • Continental breakfast and lunch are included. (Suggested donation: $5, Students/Low Income: free)
  • Please pre-register: Register on-line here or by phone: 610-433-6421.

  • Hunger and Advocacy Resources


  • Sponsored by Bread for the World, the Justice and Advocacy Committee of The Lehigh Conference of Churches, and Second Harvest Food Bank.
  • This is a preliminary program announcement. Check here again for updates.

  • There will be other Bread for the World workshops in Pennsylvania in 2015.
    Click on the links below for details and registration.
    • March 28, 2015 (Saturday, 9:00am - 2:30pm) in Pittsburgh area.
      Christ United Methodist Church, 44 Highland Road, Bethel Park, PA 15102 See details here.


    Location: http://bread.ppjr.org/
    Last Updated: 4/8/2015
    Created: October 23, 2014